Every traveler has a collection of their favorite quotes somewhere. Some of these quotes describe our relationship with travel, some of them describe our relationship with people who do or don’t understand our traveling lifestyles, and some of them are the inspiration to take a leap of faith. Regardless, I can bet that if you ask a traveler what their favorite travel quote is, they’ll have one ready. The two of us sat down and thought about our favorite travel quotes and have compiled them here for you!
“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
“The two most important days of your life is the day you are born and the day you realize why” -Mark Twain
- This quote has been my life motto and is what sticks with me with any major decision I make. How hard it is to think of why you were placed on this earth and what you are meant to do. Traveling helps you to discover that part of you and why you were put here.
“It’s a funny thing coming home. Nothing changes. Everything looks the same, feels the same, even smells the same. You realize what’s changed is you.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
“In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take”-Anonymous.
- Go today. Go do that thing that makes you the happiest. For the Wandering Photographer and I, that’s traveling. Because you never want to wake up with regret.
“I was not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land.” – Seneca
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.”
- Haha although this quote is meant to be super deep, I find it funny because the moment I told my family that I was deciding to move across the world, chaos ensued. However, this can only mean great things.
“When you give yourself to places, they give you yourself back.” – Rebecca Solnit
“Someone once told me to always live for the little things in life. Live for 5am sunrises and 5pm sunsets where you’ll see colors in the sky that don’t usually belong/ live for road trips and bike rides with music in your ears and the wind in your hair. Live for the days when you’re surrounded by your favorite people who make you realize that the world is not a cold, harsh place. Live for the little things because they will make you realize that this is what life is about, this is what it means to be alive.” -A.Y.
- It’s the little things that we have to live for so that we don’t go crazy in this world. It’ll be all those little moments that will fill your soul at the end of this life.
“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way, you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
“Sometimes, you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.”
- THIS IS EVERYTHING! It is through travel and immersing yourself in an unknown culture that you can truly come to find yourself.
“You get a strange feeling when you leave a place. Like you’ll not only miss the people you love but you miss the person you are at this time and place because you’ll never be this way ever again.” – Azar Nafasi
“The best decisions aren’t made with your mind, but with your instinct” -Lionel Messi
- Always always always trust your instinct because it will never steer you wrong. Let no one hold you back from that.
“We travel, some of us forever to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage” -Anais Nin
- I dare you to be courageous enough to make the decisions that will expand your life, no matter who is opposing it.
“Every one of a hundred thousand cities around the world had its own special sunset and it was worth going there, just once, if only to see the sun go down.” – Ryu Murakami
“I am self-propelled; fueled from within. I appreciate people’s opinions, but I’m not attached to them. I learned a long time ago that if I give them the power to feed me, I also give them the power to starve me.” -Dr. Steve Maraboli
- This has been one that is so hard to admit but holds so much truth. You fuel you and you are the one that will make your life a great one.
“A child on a farm sees a plane fly overhead and dreams of a faraway place. A traveler on the plane sees the farmhouse… and thinks of home.” – Carl Burns
“The lust for comfort murders the passions of the soul” -Kahlil Gibran
- Never settle in life, relationships, or situations because that comfort can kill a vital part of yourself.
“Our Nature lies in movement; complete calm is death.” – Blaise Pascal
“People wait all week for Friday, all year for summer, all life for happiness” -Raimonda B.
- When I read this quote, I realized how true it was. We all praise the TGIF because we are merely going through the motions until we reach the happy destination. What if you changed it? What if you made every day the happy destination?
So there are (some of) our favorite travel quotes! We had to reign each other in or else this list would have been 50 quotes long. What are your favorite travel quotes? Leave them in the comments below!